Every Day Goulash
Every Day Goulash
As a child once a year my mother would go away for a weekend with her friends. My Dad was in charge. He discovered he could make a dish called goulash. We had it for breakfast, lunch and dinner for three days, every year. We would tease him about it. When I married we had a group reunion and he volunteered to cook. My husband helped and learned how. and he cooked it often for them. Our kids still ask for it. It became our comfort food. Thanks Dad. We still miss you. Hugs.
Servings 8 people
- 1 lb sausage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large bell pepper diced
- 1 large can tomato sauce
- 1 large can Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 large can red beans
- 1 can corn
- 1 can string beans
- 1 can mushrooms sliced
- 1 can olives chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb elbow macaroni cooked according to package directions (be sure to salt water)
- In large skillet, brown sausage and ground beef. Drain and transfer to slow cooker.
- In same skillet, cook bell pepper till cooked through. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients except for the macaroni and mushrooms.
- Cook in slow cooker over low heat for 4-6 hours.
- About 40 minutes before serving, prepare macaroni noodles according to package directions. Strain (do not rinse).
- 20 minutes before serving, add cooked macaroni and mushrooms to slow cooker.
Check periodically - If it gets too dry add a little beef broth as needed.
Calories: 698kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 1723mg | Potassium: 1052mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 1711IU | Vitamin C: 44mg | Calcium: 96mg | Iron: 5mg
(Visited 27 times, 1 visits today)