This simple salad will always have a spot on our table. It's one of the first that my toddler girl learned to make and one of the few veggies she actually enjoys. She loves mixing up the dressing while I chop the lettuce and grate the cheese. We use mayonnaise to eliminate the raw egg that is used in the traditional dressing.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (approx 1 lemon fresh squeezed)
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp anchovy paste
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 bunch romaine lettuce chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup croutons
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese shredded
- cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 cup rotisserie chicken breast (optional) shredded or diced
- In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic, anchovy paste, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper. Stir in the parmesan until well combined. Taste and adjust to your liking.
- Chop romaine lettuce into 1 inch pieces and add to bowl with dressing. Add chicken (if using), croutons and most of the grated Parmesan (reserve some to sprinkle on top when serving).
- Toss ingredients in dressing until it is well coated.
- Sprinkle salad with cracked black pepper and remaining grated Parmesan.
While It's Cooking...I learned something today that I did not know. In my mind I have always associated Caesar salad with Italian food - maybe it's the name and it's undoubtedly Roman connections. But Caesar salad was actually invented in Tijuana Mexico. Surprised? I sure was. The story goes that in 1924 Caesar Cardini threw some ingredients he had on hand together as an improvised salad for some friends and, needless to say, it was a hit. The original version included romaine, garlic, croutons, Parmesan cheese, boiled eggs, olive oil and Worcestershire sauce. Anchovies were added a couple years later by Cardini's brother in law. The salad took off and has found it's way onto menus around the world.
Calories: 525kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 38g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 105mg | Sodium: 1088mg | Potassium: 277mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 257IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 336mg | Iron: 1mg
(Visited 206 times, 1 visits today)